What is NORML?
NORML is the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and was founded in 1970 with the intention of altering the public attitude as well as laws “such that the responsible use of cannabis by adults is no more consequential than the lawful use of alcohol, tobacco and caffeine products.” NORML supports the decriminalization of marijuana by removing the penalties for possessing marijuana and for the responsible use of marijuana by adults. NORML professes to be the oldest and largest marijuana legalization organization in the country. NORML’s mission is “to move public opinion sufficiently to achieve the repeal of marijuana prohibition so that the responsible use of cannabis by adults is no longer subject to penalty.”
The goals of NORML are to:
- Educate the public, media and elected policymakers about cannabis and alternatives to failed prohibition laws;
- Actively lobby elected policymakers at the local, state, federal and international level to change cannabis laws;
- Litigate in the state and federal court systems to advance reforms (or to challenge prohibition-related laws);
- Maintain a massive and publicly accessible repository of cannabis-related information;
- Provide cannabis consumers verifiable and credible legal consultations, scientific information about cannabis’ health effects and drug testing information;
- Social and political organizing of cannabis consumers and citizens who do not support Cannabis Prohibition.
NORML relies on grassroots support through donations, memberships, product sales, conference and seminar registrations, and sponsorships.
Some of NORML’s advisory board members include: Willie Nelson, Bill Maher, Woody Harleson, Barbara Ehrenreich, and Ann Druyan.
There are 10 Texas Chapters: NORML at Sam Houston State, Texas A&M NORML, NORML at Texas State, Texas NORML, Inc., San Antonio NORML, Dallas / Ft. Worth NORML, Houston NORML, NORML of Waco, Inc., NORML at the University of Texas San Antonio, and NORML at University of North Texas.
Get the DWI Dude App!
- Boating While Intoxicated on 4th of July
- Can I get busted for driving under the influence of marijuana?
- Is the smell of marijuana probable cause for police to search your car?
- Can you be ordered out of your car for a previous arrest record?
- Avoid a DWI with The DWI Dude